Hello! I often get questions on what we eat at home, so little by little, I’ll be sharing Daday’s Recipes here. We are not fully vegan, but have been vegetarian for about 10 years now.
Here’s one we love eating at home. It’s also only the dish where we use white rice instead of our usual (red or mountain rice).
My son learned eating through baby-led weaning (BLW), so he only got a taste of this breakfast porridge long after he had learned to eat and chew on his own. However, this could also be introduced to your child who’s just learning how to use a spoon! Just take out the salty components if your child is less than 1 year old, and you can bake/roast/steam parts 1-3 to make it healthier.
This is our vegan version of Arroz Caldo, a popular porridge here in the Philippines. Just a note: I divided the recipe into 4 parts – each part needing one separate pan. Let me know your thoughts if you ever decide to cook one for your family. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Vegan Arroz Caldo
* Garlic – as desired (we use a lot cause we love garlic)
* Ginger – 1 thumb-sized piece
* Green Onion as desired (sliced, for garnish)
* Kasubha (similar to Saffron, but the cheaper kind) – as desired (we use about a pinch)
* Oil for frying (we use coconut or olive oil)
* Red Onion – as desired (we use 1 pc small/medium-sized onion)
* Tofu – as desired (we use about 1/4 kg)
* Vegan Fish Sauce – as desired (we use about 1-2 tbsp, the Vegan Fish Sauce is soy-based — you can use salt as an alternative if you don’t have this)
* Water – we just keep adding until it’s cooked
* White Onion – as desired (we use 3-4 small white onions)
* White Rice – 1/2 cup uncooked
1) Sauté tofu then set aside.
1) Sauté garlic and set aside.
1) Sauté white onion (sweet) and set aside.
1) Sauté ginger, garlic, and onion.
2) Add uncooked rice.
3) Add vegan fish sauce/ salt.
4) Add water.
5) Mix and mix and mix to cook.
6) When it’s almost cooked, add fried tofu and kasubha. Mix again until cooked.
7) Serve and garnish with fried tofu, fried garlic, fried onion, and sliced green onions.